Davanagere District, also known as Devangere District, is an administrative district of Karnataka state in southern India. The city of Davanagere is the district headquarters. It had a population of 1,790,952 of which 30.32% was urban as of 2001. This district was carved out of Chitradurga district in 1997 by then Chief minister of Karnataka J. H. Patel.
Davanagare District, located in the heart of Karnataka owes its nomenclature to the term " Davana Kere" meaning "Village of Lake". Occupying an area of 5924 sq. km and stretching between the geometric coordinates of 14°28' N and 75°55' E.
Davanagere District lies in the Maidan region on the Deccan Plateau. The district lies above the historic Chitradurga. The prominent cities/towns in this district are Harihara, Honnali and Channagiri. Neighbouring districts are Shimoga District, Haveri District, Chitradurga District, and Bellary District.
Davanagare District, located in the heart of Karnataka owes its nomenclature to the term " Davana Kere" meaning "Village of Lake". The district is shrouded in antiquarian history, which dates back to the Chalukya and Pandya Dynasty.
Paddy, Sugar cane, Groundnut, Sunflower, Cotton, Jower, Ragi, Banana, Mango to list few which are priority crops. Davangere is also having growing community for change in traditional crops to medicine plants, floriculture and hybrid crops. Regulated market located in heart of Davangere city hosts platform for both farmer and dealer for business. Three Sugar mills are ideally located for sugar cane farmers, and also there are good number of farmers still run their own ‘halinamane’ for jaggery. There are also numerous rice mills, oil extraction mills, cotton mills and agri related industries in and around city.
On 2nd March of 1934, Mahatma Gandhi visited Davangere and laid foundation stone for a high school. It’s not just beginning for educational era in Davangere but a major mile stone. Today there are 3 Engineering, 3 Medical, 2 Dental, 1 Fine Arts, and other professional courses like ayurveda, commerce, science, arts, agriculture, pharmacy and polytechnic. Kuvempu University’s study center, PG Center and Engineering Collage are in Davangere.
A great Maratha warrior by name Appaji Rao had rendered great service to Hyder Ali Khan in capturing Chitradurga fort. Hyder Ali Khan was very much pleased with Appaji Rao, who had made great sacrifices in the wars waged by him. Davangere was handed over to Appaji Rao as a Jahagir. It was a very small village of about 500 houses in its perview. Appaji Rao had to toil for the upliftment of this area by inviting Maratha businessmen from neighbouring Maharastra. A large number of Marathas arrived at this place to carry on business in silk, brasserie and other materials. In due course, due to the incessant efforts of Appaji Rao, the Davangere village grew into a city. Businessmen from neigbouring areas also migrated to try their fortunes in the growing city were successful beyond imagination in earning and shaping their future careers. These circumstances created an opportunity for the perennial growth of the town in modern days. The word ‘Davanger’ is derived from “Davangere”, which means a rope in kannada language which was used for tying the horses by the villages. Around 1811 A.D., this area came to be called as ‘Davangere’.
On 2nd March of 1934, Mahatma Gandhi visited Davangere and laid foundation stone for a high school. It’s not just beginning for educational era in Davangere but a major mile stone.
Sri Chennagiri Rangappa Clock Tower: This clock tower (75 ft) is a distinct landmark of Davanagere. The foundation for the clock tower was laid by Sir Mirja Ismail, the then Deewan of Mysore province during 1937 and it was inaugarated during 1961 by Sri. T Subramanya, the then Hon’ble LSG Minister of Mysore.
Harihareshwara Temple is a 12th century Hoysala structure situated at the holy town of Harihar near Chitradurga, on the banks of the Tungabhadra river. The temple is 14 km from Davangere. It enshrines a 4 feet image of Harihara with its left portion representing Lord Vishnu and the right, Lord Shiva. A microscopic image of Goddess Lakshmi represented on the lintel of the doorway testifies the architectural proficiency and inimitable craftsmanship of the Hoysala artists
Honnali Raghavendraswamy Math:The Honnali Raghavendraswamy Math is located beside the river Tungabhadra. This age old pilgrim spot, popularly known as 'dwithiya mantralaya,' is 40 km from Shimoga and 53 km from Davangere. The devotees from all over the state and outside gather in this shrine.
Sri Durgambika temple is one of the most popular and the biggest temple in the district. It is located in old Davanagere or the Halepet in Shivajinagar. The land surrounding this auspicious temple is called "Devara Hatti".
KUNDWADA TANK: Kundwada Tank is situated on the left side of Poona-Bangalore NH4 bypass road near Kundwada village of the Davanagere city. The catchment area of Kundwada tank is nearly 253 Acres. Recently, it was rennovated and treated as Summer Water Storage Tank.
St. Thomas Church: St. Thomas Church was built during 1946 and is located at P J Extension (Prince Jayachamarajendra Extension) 6th Cross.
TV Station: Besides the TV station there is a huge reserviour which supplies to Davanagere city and is a popular picnic spot during summer season.
Some of the temples of Davanagere district
- Durgambika Temple,
- Anagodu, Hadali,
- Harihar and Mayakonda.
Davanagere District abounds in natural splendor with its panoramic landscape and ornate architectural landmarks.
- Chennagiri Rangappa Clock Tower
- Comprehensive Water Supply Scheme (T V Station)
- St. Thomas Church deserves special mention.